Se Habla Espanol

Indiana Renters insurance coverage

Request a Quote

Renters insurance coverage

Renters Insurance

Although almost half of Indiana residents rent their homes, many of them do not purchase renters insurance because they assume their property is covered under their landlord's policy. This can be a costly assumption on the part of the renter because the landlord’s policy only covers the building, not individual renter’s personal property. If a natural disaster, fire, or other even a water leak causes damage to the building the landlord is covered. However, without renters insurance, any belongings damaged or destroyed by the fire, water, or other disasters, are not subject to be replaced.

It is the responsibility of the renter to have their own policy covering their personal property. Many professional housing firms will require Indiana renters to have an insurance policy in effect before moving in. These types of policies cover coverage for possessions as well as liability coverage if someone is injured inside your residence. In general renters insurance will include personal property and liability as well as loss of use. If liability is part of the policy it will cover medical payments to the party injured at your residence. As well as damage you may cause to another person's property.

Each policy is unique but Associated Insurance Group of Indiana Renters Insurance can make sure you are covered for the following:

  • Fire
  • Smoke
  • Lightning
  • Explosion
  • Water
  • Electrical Surges

Depending on the policy there could be other types of loss or damage covered as well. Your policy can also provide you the means to live somewhere else if your unit or rental home is damaged and needs repairs.

It is important to catalog all your high-value electronics, furniture, jewelry, and other items by photographing them. Consider a policy that will pay for replacement items instead of actual cash value. Discuss the need for liability coverage with your Associated Insurance Group of Indiana Renters Insurance agent to make sure you are protected if someone is injured in your residence. It is important to let your insurance agent know exactly what you expect the policy to cover so that in the event of an accident or disaster your possessions are properly protected.

Our Partners

See more

  • Aegis
  • Dairyland
  • Encompass
  • Foremost
  • Founders
  • Grange
  • Hanover
  • JM Wilson
  • Kemper
  • Lighthouse
  • Main Street America
  • National General
  • State Auto
  • Progressive
  • Travelers
  • Trexis
  • Tower Hill
  • Universal Property